Wedding Wednesday: Summer 2017 Wedding Trends
by Ashton Cude
1. Look on the Bright Side: Spring was all about neutral, muted palettes with single accent colors and rich metallics. Not surprisingly, summer is looking brighter. Bold color palettes can look busy if not done tastefully, so choose one or two bold colors and a softer accent to tie everything together. As long as you keep things in one palette, you can go as bright as you want! Struggling to choose your palette? Think about what flowers you might want to carry and build your palette around them!
2. Beat the Heat: No matter how well the weather cooperates on your summer wedding day, one thing is guaranteed-it will be HOT. Remember to take your guests’ comfort (and your own) into consideration. If your wedding is outdoors, you can incorporate trends like program fans to keep your guests cool. Many brides who are absolutely set on getting married outside in summer are opting to have an indoor reception. Look for venues that offer both indoor and outdoor options. If your reception is also outside, consider investing in outdoor A/C, or having your wedding in the evening when things have cooled down. Guests are much more likely to dance the night away with you if they’re comfortable.
3. Lighter fare: Summer means eating lighter, and wedding are no exception. Wedding menus for this season are swapping out heavier staples for cooler counterparts. For example, switch mac n cheese with a cold pasta salad. Include fresh fruit as a side to take advantage of what’s in season. Dessert tables are getting in on the cool trend, too. Ice cream, gourmet popsicles, and cheesecake bars are just a few examples of cold desserts that add a layer of fun to your reception. Consider hiring an ice cream truck for a hint of nostalgia.
4. Yes way, Frosé: Daquiris and margaritas are staples at a wedding bar, but this year you can add frozen wines to that list. Dubbed “wine smoothies” or “frosé” on social media, this drink consists of a fruity wine blended with ice and berries. In addition to being innovative, these drinks contain less alcohol than daiquiris or margaritas for those who just want a little sip of something sassy.
5. Fruit of the Earth: Earth-conscious wedding favors are gaining more popularity this year. Plant seeds, succulents, and herbs are all favors that can be presented beautifully and give a little something back. We also love the idea of printed canvas totes that can be reused again and again by guests. The options for printing them are endless. As a bridesmaid, I’ve seen summer weddings where the favors were little jars of jam made by a close friend of the bride who had a local farm. The lids were wrapped with pretty fabrics in the wedding colors. Get creative with something your guests will enjoy long after your big day.
As always, trends can come and go. Remember, your wedding day should reflect your style and your story. If you’re a Meant to Be summer bride, don’t forget to tag us in your wedding photos so we can get googly-eyed over you! For more summer wedding inspo, check out our intern Taylor’s Friday Favorites series. From rustic to Shakespearian, she has curated some beautiful, creative wedding looks. Congratulations to all the happy couples tying the knot this summer!
(All images in this post via Pinterest)